Track time and personnel costs
With EMDESK, you can track and report time and personnel costs that have occurred occurred by participants on work items. You can find the time tracking in Expenses in the "Resources" section. All records are organised in the table view with the options to filter, search, or export.
Follow the instructions below on how to report time or/and personnel costs.
Click Resources in Home menu, this will open the "Resources" section.
Go to the "Expenses" tab and then click + Report Expense at the bottom.
This will open a sidebar, where you can report time or/and personnel costs:
- Date: Set the date or period (the time/cost will be distributed evenly along the period).
- Activity: Select the activity.
- Participant: Select the participant.
- Cost Category: Select a Personnel costs category of the type "Rate" to enter time/costs based on a rate. To enter costs only select a Personnel costs category of the type "Fix".
Note: There may be more than one personnel cost categories. Cost categories can be customized and configured under Settings Customization. There are 2 types of cost categories: fix amounts ( Fix) and rate-based amounts ( Rate) costs. Rate-based are e.g. personnel costs and depend on the quantity and rate, whereas the fixed amounts costs are fix costs for good or services.
- Indirect Cost Rate: Once both, cost category and participant are selected, the indirect cost rate is auto-selected. Indirect cost rate depends on the selected cost category and participant.
- Cost Rate: Select the correct rate from the available options, which depend on the selected participant. Only available when you choose a Personnel costs category of the type "Rate".
- Time: Once you chose the cost rate, the input for time appears. Enter the amount of spent time. The unit is set according to unit set in the cost rate (Person/Month (PM), Person/Day (PD), or Person/Hour (PH)). To change the unit, click the drop down:
- Cost (€): The cost is auto-calculated based on the time and rate. Optionally, you can enter the costs first, the time is calculated based on the rate.
- Description: Enter a short description.
- Not eligible: Toggle the switch to not calculate funding.
- No overheads: Toggle the switch to not add indirect costs.
- Tags (optional): Classify and label the costs with tags (see "Using tags").
Tip: If you have already created reporting periods, you can use them instead by clicking " Set period instead date" and then clicking " Select reporting period instead", all reporting periods appear for selection: Note: To edit indirect cost rate, you must have at least edit access right to the participant you are reporting about and adjust the cost rate in its financial profile (see "Roles, access levels, and access rights"). Note: To edit default cost rates, you must have at least edit access right to the participant you are reporting about and update the cost rate in its financial profile (see "Roles, access levels, and access rights"). Note: To adjust the default unit for the cost rate, you can update the cost rate in the participants financial profile (see "Roles, access levels, and access rights").
Once you have completed filing out all the information described above, click Save Expense.
Note: Activity, participant and cost category must be defined for each expense, otherwise the expense is considered as unassigned. Unassigned entries are listed in a separated table at Resources > Expenses and are not accounted in the expenses.