Track time and personnel costs
With EMDESK, you can track and report time and personnel costs that have occurred by participants on work items.
You can find the time tracking in the "Expenses" tab of the "Resources" section. All records are organised in the table view with the options to filter, search, or export.
Note: To report, edit, and remove time/personnel expenses, you must have Manage access rights to the "Resources" section. In addition, you must have at least Read access rights to activities and participants to which the expenses are linked to.
For example, to report time/expenses occurred on WP2 and WP3 for organisation A, you would need Manage access to the "Resources" section and Read access to organisation A and activity WP2 and WP3 (see "Roles, access levels, and access rights"). Users with the Admin or Manager access level can manage expenses linked to all activities and participants.
To report expenses for other costs, e.g. goods and services, please read "Expenses reporting".
Follow the instructions below on how to report time or/and personnel costs.
Click Resources in Home menu, this will open the "Resources" section.
Go to the "Expenses" tab and then click + Report Expense at the bottom.
This will open a sidebar, where you can report time or/and personnel costs:
- Date: Set the date or period (the time/cost will be distributed evenly along the period)
- Activity: Select the relevant activity
- Participant: Select the relevant participant
- Cost Category: Select the Personnel costs category of the type "Rate" to enter time/costs based on a rate; to enter costs only select the Personnel costs category of the type "Fix"
Note: There may be more than one personnel cost categories. Cost categories can be customised and configured in the Customisation settings. There are 2 types of cost categories: fix amounts ( Fix) and rate-based amounts ( Rate) costs. Rate-based are e.g. personnel costs and depend on the quantity and rate, whereas the fixed amounts costs are fix costs for good or services.
- Indirect Cost Rate: Once both, cost category and participant are selected, the indirect cost rate is auto-selected, since it depends on the selected cost category and participant
- Cost Rate: Select the correct rate from the available options, which depend on the selected participant (only available when you choose the personnel costs category of the type "Rate")
- To edit default cost rates, you must have at least Edit access right to the participant you are reporting about and update the cost rate in its Financial Profile (see "Roles, access levels, and access rights").
- To report effort/time without costs, choose "No rate", the input for costs will then disappear:
- Time: Once you chose the cost rate, the input for time appears. Enter the amount of spent time. The time unit is set according to the unit which set in the cost rate (Person/Month (PM), Person/Day (PD), or Person/Hour (PH)). To change the unit, click the drop down:
- Cost (€): The cost is auto-calculated based on the time and rate (optionally, you can enter the costs first, the time is calculated based on the rate)
- Description (optional): Enter a short description
- Not eligible: Toggle the switch to not calculate funding
- No overheads: Toggle the switch to not add indirect costs
- Tags (optional): Classify and label the costs with tags (see "Using tags")
Tip: If you have already created reporting periods, you can use them instead by clicking " Set period instead date" and then clicking " Select reporting period instead", all reporting periods appear for selection: Note: To edit the indirect cost rate, you must have at least Edit access right to the participant you are reporting about and adjust its cost rate in the Financial Profile (see "Roles, access levels, and access rights"). Note: Note: To adjust the default time unit for the cost rate, you must have al least Edit access rights to the participant you are reporting about and update the cost rate in its Financial Profile (see "Roles, access levels, and access rights").
Once you have completed filing out all the information described above, click Save Expense.
Note: Activity, participant, and cost category must be defined for each expense, otherwise the expense is considered as unassigned. Unassigned entries are listed in a separated table in the end of the "Expenses" tab and are not accounted in the expenses.
Note: Read here how to delete expenses entries.