With EMDESK, you can track and report expenses that have occurred occurred by participants on work items. You can find the expense tracking in the Expenses section in the Resources section. All records are organised in the table view with the options to filter, search, or export.
Follow the instructions below on how to report expenses:
Click Resources in Home menu, this will open 'Resources' section.
Click on Expenses tab and then click + Report Expense button at the bottom.
This will open the new expense sidebar, where you can report the expense:
- Cost: Enter the amount of spent money
- Date: Set the date or a period of time (cost are distributed evenly along the period) when the costs were spent
- Activity: Select the activity for which the costs were spent
- Participant: Select the participant where the costs were incurred
- Cost Category: Select the right cost category
Note: Cost categories can be customized and configured under Settings > Customization. There are 2 types of cost categories: fix amounts ( Fix) and rate-based amounts ( Rate) costs. Rate-based are e.g. personnel costs and depend on the quantity and rate, whereas the fixed amounts costs are fix costs for good or services.
- Indirect Cost Rate: Once both, cost category and participant are selected, the indirect cost rate is auto-selected. Indirect cost rate depends on the selected cost category and participant.
- Description: Enter a short description regarding the costs
- Not eligible: Switch on the toggle, when the costs are not eligible for funding
- No overheads: Switch on the toggle, when the indirect cost rate shall not be applied
- Tags (optional): Classify and label the costs with tags (see Using Tags)
Tip: If you have already created reporting periods, you can choose one of the reporting periods. Click Set period instead date, then Select reporting period instead, and choosing the right reporting period.
Note: To edit indirect cost rate, you must have at least edit access right to the participant you are reporting about and adjust the cost rate in its Financial Profile (see 'Roles, access levels, and access rights').
Click Save Expense to create and report the new expense. The new expense appears in the Resources table view linked to activity and participant.