Plan and create personnel budget
Note: To create budget, you must have manage access rights to the "Resources" section and at least read access rights to those activities and participants, you want to assign budget for (see "Roles, access levels, and access rights"). In addition, the current plan version must be in Edit mode (read here).
To create budget for other costs e.g. goods and services, then read "Plan and create budget".
To plan personnel budgets, please follow instructions below.
First go to the "Resources" section, select the "Budget" tab and then click +Add Budget. This will open the "New budget" sidebar.
In the sidebar select the relevant Activity, Participant, Cost Category of the type of personnel and finally the Cost Rate. Once you have selected the cost rate, another input field for effort appears right from the "Cost" field at the top of the sidebar:
- Activity: Select the activity, e.g. project, work package or task the budget is scheduled for (only one activity can be selected; budget on several activities can be assigned to the parent activities or split in several budget entries).
- Participant: Select the participant the budget is planned for.
- Cost Category: Select a Personnel costs category (type "Rate").
Note: There may be more than one personnel cost categories. Cost categories can be customised and configured under Settings Customization. There are 2 types of cost categories: fix amounts ( Fix) and rate-based amounts ( Rate) costs. Rate-based are e.g. personnel costs and depend on the quantity and rate, whereas the fixed amounts costs are fix costs for good or services.
- Indirect Cost Rate: Once cost category and participant is selected, the indirect cost rate is auto-applied. The indirect cost rate is configured for the cost category in the financial profile of the participant.
- Cost Rate: Select the correct rate from the available options (the cost rates and default rate are configured in the participant's financial profile).
- Description: Enter the budget description.
- Set Period (optional): Define a fixed time range within the activity duration in which the budget is planned; by default the budget is assumed to be spent evenly over the activity duration.
- Tags: Classify the budget record with tags (optional, see "Using tags").
Note: If no cost rates are yet available for the participant, click "create a cost rate" to create a cost rate for the participant (see "Create and manage personnel cost rates").
Tip: To plan personnel budget without effort (not rate-based personnel budget), create a new cost category, e.g. personnel costs with the type Fix at Settings Customization.
Then enter the amount by either entering the Cost or Effort. The unit can also be changed from Person-month to Person Day or Person Hour by clicking the arrow next to PM at the top. Once you have finished, click Save Resource.
Note: The Cost or Effort values are updated when one of the two values is updated, based on the selected cost rate.
- Person Month: The metric for the time (effort) that the key personnel of an organisation devotes to a specific project in a monthly rate.
- Person Day: The metric for the time (effort) that the key personnel of an organisation devotes to a specific project in a daily rate.
- Person Hour: The metric for the time (effort) that the key personnel of an organisation devotes to a specific project in a hourly rate.
Tip: You can set a budget limit for a participant in the participant's sidebar. If the set budget limit is exceeded, the total budget of the participant is displayed in red.