Plan and create personnel budget
Note: To create budget, you must have Manage access rights to the "Resources" section and at least Read access rights to those activities and participants, you want to assign budget for (see "Roles, access levels, and access rights"). In addition, the current plan version must be in the Edit mode (see "Manage project plan versions").
Tip: It is recommendable to create activities and participants before creating a personnel budget.
To create budget for other costs, e.g. goods and services, please read "Plan and create budget items".
Follow the instructions below on how to plan personnel budgets.
Click Resources in Home menu, this will open the "Resources" section.
Go to the "Budget" tab and then click + Add Budget at the bottom.
This will open a sidebar, where you can create the new personnel budget entry:
- Activity: Select the activity for which you plan the budget
- Participant: Select the participant the budget is planned for
- Cost Category: Select the Personnel costs category of the type "Rate" to enter costs based on a rate; to enter costs only select the Personnel costs category of the type "Fix"
Note: There may be more than one personnel cost categories. Cost categories can be customised and configured in the Customization settings. There are 2 types of cost categories: fix amounts ( Fix) and rate-based amounts ( Rate) costs. Rate-based are e.g. personnel costs and depend on the quantity and rate, whereas the fixed amounts costs are fix costs for good or services.
- Indirect Cost Rate: Once both, cost category and participant are selected, the indirect cost rate is auto-selected, since it depends on the selected cost category and participant
- Cost Rate: Select the correct rate from the available options, which depend on the selected participant (only available when you choose the personnel costs category of the type "Rate")
- Time: Once you chose the cost rate, the input for time appears. Enter the amount of planned time. The time unit is set according to the unit which set in the cost rate (Person/Month (PM), Person/Day (PD), or Person/Hour (PH)). To change the unit, click the drop down:
- Cost (€): The cost is auto-calculated based on the time and rate (optionally, you can enter the costs first, the time is calculated based on the rate)
- Description (optional): Enter the personnel budget description
- Set Period (optional): Define a fixed time range within the activity duration in which the personnel budget is planned; by default the budget is assumed to be spent evenly over the activity duration
- Tags (optional): Classify and label the costs with tags (see "Using tags")
Note: To edit the indirect cost rate, you must have at least Edit access right to the participant you are creating the budget for and adjust its cost rate in the Financial Profile (see "Roles, access levels, and access rights").
Note: If no cost rates are yet available for the participant, click "create a cost rate" to create a cost rate for the participant (see "Create and manage personnel cost rates").
Note: To adjust the default time unit for the cost rate, you must have al least Edit access rights to the participant you are creating the budget for and update the cost rate in its Financial Profile (see "Roles, access levels, and access rights").
Once you have completed filing out all the information described above, click Save Budget.