Plan and create budget items
Note: To create budget, you must have Manage access rights to the "Resources" section and at least Read access rights to those activities and participants, you want to assign budget for (see "Roles, access levels, and access rights"). In addition, the current plan version must be in Edit mode (read here).
- It is recommended to create activities and participants before creating a project budget, because budget entries are assigned to both of them.
- If you have already developed your project budget outside the EMDESK app, you can import your budget data into your EMDESK workspace.
If you would like to create rate-based personnel budget, then read "Plan and create personnel budget".
Follow the instructions below on how to create a budget entry.
First go to the "Resources" section and click the "Budget" tab, then click +Add Budget.
This will open a sidebar where you can create a new budget:
- Cost (€): Enter the amount of planned costs.
- Activity: Select the activity for which you plan the budget.
- Participant: Select the participant where the costs will be incurred.
- Cost Category: Select a cost category of the type "Fix".
Note: Cost categories can be customised and configured under Settings Customization. There are 2 types of cost categories: fix amounts ( Fix) and rate-based amounts ( Rate) costs. Rate-based are e.g. personnel costs and depend on the quantity and rate, whereas the fixed amounts costs are fix costs for good or services.
- Indirect Cost Rate: Once both, cost category and participant are selected, the indirect cost rate is auto-selected. Indirect cost rate depends on the selected cost category and participant (managed in the financial profile of the participant).
- Description: Enter a short description regarding the budget.
- Set Period (optional): Define a fixed time range within the activity duration in which the budget is planned; by default the budget is assumed to be spent evenly over the activity duration (optional).
Tip: The Set Period is optional. However, if you would like to specify a particular period within the activity duration, then activate Set Period and define the start and end month.
- Tags (optional): Classify and label the budget with tags (see "Using tags").
Once you have completed filing out all your information, click Save Resource.
Note: Activity, participant and cost category must be defined for each budget item, otherwise the budget item is considered as unassigned. Unassigned entries are listed in a separated table at Resources > Budget and are not accounted in the budget.